A little more about myself today-- while I am a stay-at-home mom, I also am a work from home mom. I teach private piano lessons here in my home. I have had 25 students at my highest point, but at the moment am down to 16, including my own lovely daughter. I do those on Monday and Tuesday afternoons and evenings. In fact, I have several openings if anyone is looking for a good piano teacher... ;)
On to the project of the day! Even though I have painted furniture off and on through the years, this was the first project where I started to play around with distressing and antiquing.
I had a can of clearance paint from Lowes that was an off-white shade. It was a little too yellow-ish for my taste, so I mixed in a bit of brown to try to tone it down. Since I have no ASCP dealers near by, and I was unwilling to pay shipping in addition to the rather salty price of the paint, I decided to try a little DIY chalk paint. My first try was with calcium carbonate and I totally guessed at the amounts. I have since switched over to using plaster of paris and it actually creates a much smoother paint. Keeping in mind that this was all experiment...and even though I had spent quite a bit of time haunting various blogs about using chalk paint and distressing and antiquing...I still had to make a few mistakes in the process. Yes, I tried putting antiquing glaze right on top of the chalk paint. MISTAKE! It does soak right into the surface. I finally ended up mixing a little bit of dark walnut stain into a clear glaze and this gave just the right amount of color to darken up the surface and settle into the crevices of the piece.